Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Macintosh PowerPC G5 video card compatibility?

I have a PowerPC G5 Dual 2 GHz, currently running OS X 10.5.8. I am shopping for a new monitor and I'm not quite sure if my original video card (ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Mac Edition w/128 MB) is compatible with the new LCD monitors from Samsung, Viewsonic or, maybe, Asus. In fact, I'm not sure about Asus, period.



Also, is it imperative that I use an 8x AGP card? I'm still a bit hazy on that point. I'm not a gamer so I don't spend a lot of time thinking that I need to upgrade my video card every six weeks. ;)



Thanks.



Karl

tekneer@yahoo.com|||That card will work with the newest crop of monitors - at least those that take DVI or VGA cables (your card predates HDMI).



There's little point in using anything other than AGP 8x video cards in that computer. The G5 doesn't have the current PCI-Express x16 video card slot, so it can't take the current generation video cards. Anything slower than AGP 8x would be a step down in video performance.



Your video card can support a monitor with a maximum resolution of 1920x1200, so it's good for most any current monitor up to and including Full HD.|||The 9800 is a fine card. It's AGP 8X it will run any LCD you buy so don't worry about that. Also that video card has a DVI output on it so you can connect using the DVI inputs.



And no Your system will only take AGP vid cards.





Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment